Saturday, April 28, 2007

baptism

Recently the Vatican stated that babies who die without being baptized may go to heaven. Up until now it was believed by Catholics that this was not the case. This has always bothered me. Why would the fate of one's soul be dependent on the actions of another? I also never understood how parents can make that decision for their child. Other Christian religions (like the Jehovah's Witnesses) believe that people must make this decision themselves. This makes sense to me.

My question to any readers is this: What happens to the soul of an unbaptized baby?

1. If you say the baby WILL NOT go to Heaven then how can you call your God a loving God? Why would God punish a baby due to the actions (or non-actions) of it's parents?

2. If you say the baby WILL go to Heaven then wouldn't killing your baby be the ULTIMATE sacrifice? You'd be damning your soul to guarantee the salvation of your baby's soul. If you let you baby grow up they may go down the wrong path that eventually leads them to Hell. Killing it as a baby would prevent that.

3. If you say you don't know then I appreciate you honesty. As far as I can tell the Bible doesn't have much to say on the issue.

Also...to those who pick one of the first 2 options. Please cite your source.

4 comments:

Diorissi said...

such complex theological issues...have you read Toni Morrison's Beloved? Some of the themes are played out there. And Tess of the D'Urbevilles by Thomas Hardy - also some powerful themes that are central to the questions you raise, concerning the fate of her post-rape baby.

No-one said religion was just. It's in-group and out-group stuff really, and they will hit you where it hurts to make you belong, heart and soul. The innocents held to ransom for earthly power.

Diorissi said...

oops - didn't mean to kill the debate. I seem to be just so much more cynical about religion than is strictly palatable I imagine.

Anonymous said...

"What happens to the soul of an unbaptized baby?"

They arrive daily in a nice bundle at my house and I eat them.

Anonymous said...

You know my religious beliefs. I think the Bible is a work of fiction. I give my children the freedom of believing what they want to. I don't force my beliefs on them and I don't want them to force their beliefs on me. I have 2that go to church and one that believes kind of what I do. Plus, I agree with you that if the God of the Bible is real that he is a cruel and merciless God.
Nyte