Saturday, May 24, 2008

Government Apologies

Recently the Government of Canada has promised to apologize for the Komagata Maru incident. Apparently in 1914 a Japanese charter ship arrived in Vancouver harbour with 376 migrants from India. Immigration officials refused to let the passengers disembark.

So now people who did not commit the offense are apologizing to people who were not the victims. That makes sense. The Canadian government also offered $10 million to the Ukrainian-Canadian Foundation and $5 million to the Chinese-Canadian community as a result of wrongdoings during the World Wars.

I did nothing wrong. Why are my tax dollars going to people who haven't been victimized?

By the way...if my great-grandfather wronged your great-grandfather in any way, I am sorry. Please come by my house and I'll give you $1000.

1 comment:

Diorissi said...

ah hah - a clever variant of the "jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine' line...